Thursday, March 28, 2013

Spring Pasta

Is it Friday yet?

Even though I had yesterday off from work today felt very long and now I'm counting down the minutes until the weekend. This weekend is going to be a weekend of eating. We are cashing in 2 groupons for nice restaurants in Colorado Springs that we've never been to before and it's Easter Sunday! 

I'm cooking Easter Dinner and haven't finalized my menu yet. I have a bunch of ideas and a nice pork loin roast in the freezer that I think would be perfect. Spiral ham is typically the choice for Easter but I'm just not a fan of that type of pork. I think it has to do with the texture. I would rather a more natural piece of pork any day.

Tonight for dinner I made Spring Pasta in a creamy sauce with peas and asparagus. I'm normally not a creamy pasta girl but this sauce is amazing. I highly recommend making the toasted bread crumbs too, they add a great crunchy element to an otherwise creamy dish.





Ingredients, inspired by April 2012 Cooking Light
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 minced cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of asparagus sliced diagonally
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 8 ounces uncooked linginue
- 1/3 cup finely diced onion
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- salt and pepper to taste

1.) Steam the asparagus and peas for about 3 minutes until crisp tender
2.) Remove from the steamer and cover with ice to chill (this keeps their green color)
3.) Cook the pasta according to the package directions, drain and keep warm
4.) After the pasta cooks, in the same pot melt 1 tablespoon of butter
5.) Add the breadcrumbs and 1 clove of garlic and saute until golden brown, pour into a small bowl
6.) In the same pot melt 1 tablespoon of butter and the olive oil over medium heat
7.) Add the onion and garlic and saute until soften and just turning golden brown
8.) Whisk in the flour and cook about 2 minutes then slowly whisk in the milk
9.) Bring the milk to a simmer and then add the cheeses and tarragon
10.) Add the vegetables and pasta, stirring to combine
11.) Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment