Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pizza Round Two

Now that I'm cleared to run I'm fighting to get back into running shape. I knew it wasn't going to be easy and I'm ready to work. For some inspiration I found some great races in the area that I could use as milestones.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Hippity Hop Easter Trot as my 1st 5k back

Tortoise & Hare This race seems really interesting. Everyone is assigned a handicap based on age, sex, height and weight and then the person with the highest handicap starts the race and the clock works backwards until the fastest person starts. Then the clock runs forwards the remainder of the race.

Cherry Creek Sneak I hope to use this 5k as inspiration to get my time down to where I was pre-surgery. I ran this race but the 10 mile course last year and had a blast. The post race expo/party was super fun and there were tons of vendors. Also the race starts near a mall so parking could not be easier.

High Line Canal Run I'm thinking about the 10k distance on this one. Has anyone ran this race before? It has the allure of a pancake breakfast...

Taste of Louisville Half Marathon I've been chasing the sub 2 hour half for about a year now. I would love the achieve that goal, at altitude to boot!

After that we'll see. I have my eye on some full marathons in the fall but we'll have to see how these runs go.

As for the pizza, remember how I doubled the pizza dough recipe last week? Well I took it out of the freezer on Sunday night and let it defrost and hang out in the fridge for my second pesto recipe of the week.

Oops the parmesan didn't make it in
Ingredients
- 1 Ball whole wheat pizza dough 
- 1 cup of pesto (I'm using swiss chard)
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- lettuce, bell pepper, etc for a salad

1.) Take the dough of the fridge at least 30 minutes before you want to roll it out, the longer the better. I take mine out when I get home from work.
2.) Preheat your oven to 500 with a cast iron pizza pan on the middle rack
3.) Roll out your pizza dough on a floured piece of parchment paper
4.) Spread the pesto on the dough followed by the mozzarella, chicken and parmesan
5.) Place the pizza on the pizza pan and let cook for about 10 minutes until the crust is cooked through and the cheese all melty
6.) Let the pizza cool for at least 5 minutes before you slice it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment